My camera is blurry or foggy due to moisture on or in the camera. What do I do?
When condensation forms on a security camera, it can blur lenses and compromise image quality. Condensation is because of two factors, humidity, and the temperature difference between the air and the camera. Condensation occurs on the warm side of the glass. For example in summer there may be condensation in the morning on the outside of the camera lens.
Another example would be after a cool night, the air starts to get warmer and the camera lens will appear foggy. This effect can be more evident in the wintertime.
Do Not Remove the Silica Packet
All SCW cameras have a silica packet installed inside the device which attempts to absorb moisture created by the condensation. Do not remove this silica packet.
Why the Silica Packet is Needed
A camera that has power will generate a small amount of heat. The cold air outside vs. the slightly higher temperature of the camera will create condensation on the inside of the lens. The colder and more humid the climate, the longer this effect will last. Most of the time the silica packet will absorb moisture in a few hours. There have been cases of below-freezing temperatures taking a few days, up to a week, or more.
Steps to Take to Remove Moisture:
If your newly installed camera has condensation we generally recommend keeping them outside for approximately seventy-two hours to see if the condensation can naturally dissipate. If it’s not improving within seventy-two hours, you may have to re-acclimate the camera.
To Acclimate the Camera to your Environment:
1. Bring the camera back inside (remove from original installation point)
2. Place the camera and some silica bead packets inside the original bag packaging. If you lost the silica bead packets, one can be purchased from home improvement stores for a few dollars.
3. Wait until condensation is dissipated.
4. With the camera still in the bag, place the camera outside for a few hours to acclimate to the outside temperature.
5. Once acclimated you can continue the install as normal.
Just Getting Started with Security Cameras?
Get the SCW Beginner's Guide!
New to security camera systems? Confused by Analog vs IP? Bullet vs Dome? Indoor vs Outdoor? Don't even know what PTZ means?
No problem! Download the SCW Beginner's Guide and get all your questions answered right away!